Saturday, August 4, 2012


It has been a while since I made a post on here. Long story short: I went home for a year, got married and have now returned to Taiwan with my husband. Traveling around my favorite places has been a blast, especially since Doug’s Chinese is quite terrible.

The other day we tried to buy dumplings and ended up purchasing soup. While we were looking at the stuff, Doug tried to tell the lady he didn’t know…except he forgot the word “not”. So we were standing at a soup shop and I was trying to tell the lady he didn’t know. Each time I said that, Doug piped up with “I know, I know” in Chinese. Finally, I had to just tell the lady, “No, he really doesn’t know. He doesn’t know Chinese”. Throughout the whole exchange, the lady and I were just laughing as Doug insisted that “I know, I know”.

Once the soup came out, the lady came out to ask us if we wanted the ten dumplings still. Doug-thinking she was inquiring about how our meal was—said yes. Another round of laughter later and a lot of confusion ensued before we sorted out the matter.

I have also been enjoying Doug’s other mistakes. He confused the word “want” with “am” the other day. Before I could stop him, he told several people that “I am a dumpling. I am a chicken” before I could correct him. Amusingly, he also told several people in his teacher training group how to say it wrong. If anyone sees a bunch of foreigners in Taiwan saying “I am a coffee” you know who to blame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment