Friday, February 25, 2011

Teaching Kindergarten in Taiwan

Recently, I covered my coworkers yo-yo class-which consists of ten 1-3 year olds. I thought I was up to the challenge until a child came up to me with a kleenex and the cry of “Teacher, teacher!”
"Thats cool,” I say, “Nice kleenex!” At this he motions again.
“Teacher, teacher!”
” Yea!” I say. ” I know, that is so cool! Very cool Kleenex. You are sooo smart.”
Then I realize, that whats he’s pointing to is his runny nose. Understanding sinks in, and I realize a second thing- this is so out of my ball park. Whose idea was it to put me in charge of a class that consists of mini me’s? I think about this for a second and in my moment of distraction, one child falls against another starting a kind of domino effect with my class, culminating in my directors little daughter hitting the ground. Inwardly, I groan as I look around for the chinese teacher to save me and make things better. Quite seriously, I think I would die without having a chinese teacher in my class. Children are quite awesome, but they randomly cry, and cry in Chinese, which slightly hinders my ability to help them.
Chinese teachers are also amazing because the first day they met me, and several times in ensuing days and weeks, they told me I look like a movie star. I’m not entirely sure how exact this descriptor is, but I tried posing in the mirror the other night, and I must say, I totally see it. I was less enthused though when Renee actually named a movie star the other day…Lindsay Lohan. It took me several minutes to unravel exactly what this description was supposed to mean. I immediately tossed out the excessively thin aspect, and (I hope) the drugs and rehab one. Without these two things though, I think that leaves me with The Parent Trap, which is even more confusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment